Shelby County Smart Snack
Starting in school year 2014-15, all foods sold at school during the school day will need to meet nutrition standards. The Smart Snacks in School regulation applies to foods sold a la carte, in the school store, and vending machines. Below is the process Shelby County Schools uses in the implementation of the USDA Smart Snacks in School and Exempt Fundraisers
- The person wanting to use food as a fundraiser would check to see if the item is listed as “Approved” on the Shelby County Smart Snack Spreadsheet.
- If the item is listed as approved on the Shelby County Smart Snack Spreadsheet, then it is approved. The person would need to print the spreadsheet and attach a copy with the purchase order and Fundraiser Request Form.
- If the item is not listed on the Shelby County Smart Snack Spreadsheet, the person would complete the Smart Snack Product Calculator. The person wanting to sell food as a fundraiser would simple need to enter information from the Nutrition Facts label to see if the item is compliant. Then print the last page for a reference.
- If the item is compliant based on the Product Calculator, the person would then enter the same information on the Shelby County Smart Snack Form. (NOTE:you must be logged in to Google to use this form)
- Once information is entered on the form it will feed into the Shelby County Smart Snack Spreadsheet where it will be approved if compliant. If the item is not compliant, it will be indicated on the spreadsheet.
NOTE - If a principal plans to sale food items that are not compliant with USDA Smart Snack Standards during the school day, the “Alabama’s Implementation of USDA Smart Snacks in School and Exempt Fundraisers Form - excel format ” (form in PDF format) must be completed and on file. The exempt fundraiser form must be submitted to CNP by July 1st and January 1st each school year. The State of Alabama allows thirty (30) exemptions per year provided that this form has been completed and submitted to CNP. The school and Child Nutrition Program must provide this information upon request.
Smart Snack presentation July 28, 2015 - pdf format