Student Services


We welcome you to the Shelby County School System. The following information should help you in the process of enrolling your child.

Below you will find links to 2 Enrollment documents. The Enrollment forms are Alabama State Department of Education forms and required for enrollment of a student.

Once your child is enrolled, you will be asked to complete registrations forms.  These forms provide the local school with residence verificaiton and other needed information.  Registration forms are offered in fillable PDF format. These forms will allow you to get a head-start on the registration process. You will need to print the completed forms and bring them to registration.  If you have additional questions about the enrollment process you may contact Student Services Department or the individual school Principal or Counselor.

Enrollment Forms
Enrollment Forms - SPA


Documents Needed For
Student Enrollment


Other Resources

Registration On-Line Forms Student Services Department School Directory

Residency/School Zone

The Board of Education has established school attendance zones and students must attend school in the zone in which they reside with a parent or legal guardian.

You may view the school attendance areas by clicking here. If you have a question regarding your specific residence and which school zone you are in, you may call Brent Copes at 205-682-7132.

Age Requirements

To enroll in Kindergarten, a child must be 5 years of age on or before Sept. 2 of the enrolling school year. To enroll in First Grade, a child must be 6 years of age on or before Sept. 2 of the enrolling school year (Alabama Code 16-28-4). Any questions regarding this state law can be directed to the Instructional Department, Elementary Coordinator at 205-682-7055.

2016-17 Kindergarten Pre-Enrollment is April 6, 2016 (7:00am - 11:00am) and April 7, 2016 (12:00pm - 6:00pm). Contact your local school for more information.

Kindergarten Pre-Enrollment flyer (English) Kindergarten Pre-Enrollment flyer (Spanish)

Health Certificates

Each student wishing to enroll into the Shelby County School System must present a certificate of immunization or a  medical or religious exemption.

Transfer Students

Students who have previously been enrolled in school must provide proof of withdrawal from that school.  Students transferring into the Shelby County School System must be in good standing with their prior school.  Shelby County Schools will honor all behavior dispositions a student may have with a previously enrolled school.  Shelby County Schools will follow all Alabama High School Athletic Association rules and regulations regarding transfer students.

Special Services

If the student needs special services, the parent should notify the school counselor. These may include Gifted Education, an Accommodation Plan, a 504 Plan, English Language Learner services, or Special Education Services.