Facts About Shelby County Schools
NOTE: This page is updated in October of each year.
- 20881 Total Students (source: 20 Day report K-12 grades)
- 15 Elementary and Intermediate Schools
- 13 Middle and High Schools
- Linda Nolen Learning Center
- Career Technical Educational Center
- New Direction
English Language Learner Population (ELL)
- 786 students receive ELL services
- 3.7% of our total population
- 2,059 students in Shelby County Schools who use language other than English in their homes
- 30 languages spoken by students in our system representing 49 countries
Financials Reconciled and Reported Monthly
- Financial records balanced and closed monthly
- Monthly managerial report to the Board of Education
- Annual Accountability Report
- Local school audited internally and externally
- System-wide audit performed by the Examiners of Public Accounts
- Management transparency
- Exemplary state audits
- Unmodified audit opinions (highest given by auditors)
- 1558 Professional Employees
- 1,136 Support Employees
- 2,724 total employees
- Award winning staff
- 318 Bus Drivers
- 48 Bus Aides
- 338 bus routes (CCC, school to school routes, shuttles, etc…)
- 308 buses on the road
- 14,260 miles covered per day
- 10,941 children transported daily
- 2,566,800 miles covered annually
Child Nutrition Program
- 157 CNP Staff (116 Hold Professional Certification with the School Nutrition Association and 86 are Level 4 Certified).
- 667,666 Breakfast Meals served last year - 9.5% increase in participation from last year.
- 1,870,441 Lunch Meals served last year - 3.5 % increase in participation from last year.
- Cafeteria Equipment replacement totaling over $150,000.00 at Shelby Elementary and Oak Mountain Elementary.
- 73,276 payments received last year through the Myschoolbucks.com meal payment program. There was a 17% increase in online payments from last year and 38% of all online payments were made with the mobile app. This program allows parents to monitor and fund student accounts conveniently from their phones.
- Online meal benefit applications, Myschoolapps.com. This has improved efficiency in quickly providing meal benefits for students in need with a 33.3 % increase in online applications from last year. 86% of our meal benefit applications are completed online.
- Digital menu app and website, Nutrislice- Shelbyed.nutrislice.com, assists students and parents in identifying nutrients and common allergens. This program allows everyone to conveniently access the monthly cafeteria menus from their phones or tablets.