Facts About Shelby County Schools
NOTE: This page is updated in October of each year.
- 20722 Total Students (source: 20 Day report)
- 15 Elementary and Intermediate Schools
- 13 Middle and High Schools
- Linda Nolen Learning Center
- Career Technical Educational Center
- New Direction
English Language Learner Population (ELL)
- 786 students receive ELL services
- 3.7% of our total population
- 2,059 students in Shelby County Schools who use language other than English in their homes
- 30 languages spoken by students in our system representing 49
Original Budget FY 2017-2018
- All Shelby County Schools are accredited
- 1558 Professional Employees
- 1,136 Support Employees
- 2,724 total employees
- Award winning staff
- 318 Bus Drivers
- 48 Bus Aides
- 338 bus routes (CCC, school to school routes, shuttles, etc…)
- 308 buses on the road
- 14,260 miles covered per day
- 10,941 children transported daily
- 2,566,800 miles covered annually
2018-2019 Child Nutrition Program
- 156 CNP Staff (116 Hold Professional Certification with the School Nutrition Association and 84 are Level 4 Certified).
- 609,794 Breakfast Meals served annually
- 1,807,970 Lunch Meals served annually
- Cafeteria improvements at Calera Intermediate and Vincent Middle/High
- Over $1.5 Million in online payments received annually through the Myschoolbucks.com meal payment program. This program allows parents to monitor and fund student accounts.
A website for electronic meal benefit applications, Myschoolapps.com. This has improved efficiency in providing meal benefits for students in need.
Introduction of digital menu app, NutriSlice, to assist students and parents identify nutrients and common allergens.
- Introduction of digital menu app and website, shelbyed.nutrislice.com, to assist students and parents identify nutrients and common allergens.
Financials Reconciled and Reported Monthly
- Financial records balanced and closed monthly
- Monthly managerial report to the Board of Education
- Annual Accountability Report
- Local school audited internally and externally
- System-wide audit performed by the Examiners of Public Accounts
- Management transparency
- Exemplary state audits
- Unmodified audit opinions (highest given by auditors)
updated Oct. 2018