Become a Bus Driver
How To Become A Bus Driver
- Must be 21 years of age or older
- Must obtain a Class B Commercial Driver’s License with a Passenger and School Bus Endorsement
- Must have a clean driving record with no DUI
- Cannot be Insulin dependent
How To Apply
- Complete a classified application online at ALSDE online application and
- Apply for the Bus Driver Preliminary Interview.
- After the Preliminary Interview qualified candidates will be invited to attend the training class.
- You must have your CDL before attending the training class.
To Obtain A Class B Commercial Driver’s License
- Pass 4 tests given at the license office (Study manuals are available at your local license office)
- General Knowledge
- Air Brakes
- School Bus
(COST FOR THE CDL TEST IS $25)
After Passing The CDLTest:
- You will be given a Learner’s Permit
- Attend a 4 hour training class from Shelby County Schools
- Attend a 12 hour State Department of Education New Bus Driver Certification Class
- 3 days
- Score at least 80% on written test given at end of 12 hour instruction class
- Pass a three part performance test
- Pre-Trip Inspection
- Basic Control Skills Tests (backing)
- Driving Skills Test
(Practice days will be available for two weeks prior to the New Bus Driver Certification Class)
Other Required Documentation
- Obtain a background check at https://www.aps.gemalto.com/index.htm or by phone at (866)989-9316 (COST FOR BACKGROUND CHECK WILL BE $49.65)
- Required Documentation
- A Class B CDL with Passenger and School Bus Endorsement
- Copy of high school diploma, college diploma, or GED
- Copy of Social Security Card
- Alabama School Bus Driver Physical Examination Report (link to physical form) (COST FOR PHYSICAL WILL BE $50 - $100)
How To Keep An Alabama School Bus Driver Certification
In order to maintain their school bus driver certification, school bus drivers are required to participate in a 4-hour recertification class. These classes are scheduled in all school systems and are taught between January 1 and October 31 annually.
Drivers who fail to attend the required re-certification class must return to a new driver class and be performance tested.
Who To Contact
Anyone wishing to drive a school bus in Shelby County should contact the Transportation Department at 205-682-7130.