Shelby Elementary School is located near the town of Shelby, Alabama. The town of Shelby is not like the large majority of Shelby County. Shelby is largely comprised of small, privately owned businesses and farmland. Shelby is still mainly agricultural and is still a peaceful place which is only minutes away from major industrial areas. Shelby County is one of seven counties that now make up the Birmingham-Hoover Metropolitan Area.
Shelby County was named after Isaac Shelby, a Revolutionary War hero and the first Governor of Kentucky. The name Shelby has been common in this area from the early stages of our country's birth. There were Shelby's in most of America's major wars. William Houston Shelby was a captain in the War Between the States. Another famous Shelby is our current U.S. Senator, Richard Shelby.
Shelby County was established 7 February 1818. That's almost a full year before Alabama became a state! One of the area's famous landmarks is the Historic Shelby Iron Park. The park is located in Shelby on County Road 42. Every year the Historic Shelby Association sponsors the Shelby Iron Works Festival at the park.
Shelby Elementary School was built at its present location in 1995. Prior to this, the history of our school can be traced back to its original location approximately three miles away. The first school building was used as a public works facility until 1939, at which time it became a school. Our current school serves grades K-5. After completing the fifth grade, our students are transported by bus to the middle and high schools in Columbiana, eight miles away.